Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oddities

On the one hand, it seems like England shouldn't be that different from back home in Wisconsin.  After all, we share a language and (you would think) similar Western cultural traits.  It's not like I'm studying abroad in a country where I don't speak the language or am cut off from the amenities and things I am accustomed to.  I'm in England, for Pete's sake!  America's estranged parent, our closest ally, the home of most of our TV stars.

Turns out, all of that means very little.  I can still barely understand what some people are trying to say to me.  I feel largely confused and very much like I stand out in the crowd of Brits.  I say "thank you" instead of "cheers," I usually wear jeans and not leggings, my eyeliner isn't an inch thick.  So...here's a not-at-all-comprehensive list of things that are different and difficult in jolly old England:

(1)  Things are backwards.  Look, I know that they drive on the opposite side here, and I'm pretty well adjusted to that.  It also means you have to look right first when crossing the street--still challenging, but I'm improving.  But the "left" thing extends way beyond that.  Remembering to walk on the left side of the sidewalk and the stairs, to enter in the left doors, to take the left escalator up a floor.  Still getting tripped up on those.

(2)  Converting things in my head sucks.  Temperature, distance, weight/volume, currency, the 24-hour clock.  My head is full of numbers and it's nearly impossible to keep them all straight.  I bought a 700g jar of peanut butter for £1.56.  Is that a good deal?  Who knows!



(3)  Speaking of groceries, I don't recognize brands.  It means that shopping takes a lot longer when you're staring at the shelf trying to figure out what you're looking at.  It's weird not knowing if Robinson's is more like Welch's and Juicy Juice or Tropicana.  Or maybe V8?  Will people judge me if I get this brand as opposed to that one--maybe one is for the earth-loving hippies and one for cartoon-loving kids.  It's even worse when I don't know what the product is, much less the brand.  Turns out flapjacks are sweet oat bars, not pancakes. 

(4)  I don't recognize the celebrities on the fronts of magazines.  I didn't know that this was something that would jump out at me, but it does.  I'm used to the Lohans and Snookis (That is a word that cannot easily be made plural.  Also, let's hope she never reproduces.) of the world gracing the checkout lines and now it's all these ex-Big Brother stars and people I have never heard of.  It's surprisingly disorienting.  (I just checked the Daily Mail website -- Jessie Wallace, Rita Simons, Myleene Klass, Emma Bunton, Holly Willoughby, Cheryl Cole, Lavern Ritch.  Not a single familiar name.) 

(5)  People dress differently.  It's all tights and boots and artificially bright red hair.  Jeggings are ubiquitous (if you don't know what "jeggings" are....give yourself a pat on the back).  Almost no one is in jeans, and t-shirts and sweatshirts are completely foreign items.  Hair and makeup are immaculate.  It's both like girls are always dressed up and like girls are all doing the walk of shame.  ALL THE TIME.  Strange. 

Despite all these confusing bits and bobs, there are a number of American things around--most of which I'm embarrassed about.  If they were going to adopt facets of American culture, couldn't it be something besides Starbucks, KFC, and McDonald's?  I mean, really.  Our fast food is everywhere...with some alterations.

Hollywood has a strong presence, too.  I've seen dozens of advertisements on the sides of buses and phone booths and billboards for Green Hornet, Black Swan and others.  American TV shows have a pretty good presence here, too.  (Although, sites like Hulu, Netflix, and Pandora do not work outside of the states....sad.)  Also, and terrifyingly (for me, at least), Twilight seems at least as popular here as it is in the US.  

There's a character named Leah?  Why did no one tell me this so I could be properly horrified?

 Lastly.....this was familiar:


For proof this is in England...look!  It's a real football match on the little screen!

Watching the Packers win at a pub was fantastic.  I was the only die-hard Packers fan in the place, surrounded by Bears fans from the US, Mexico, and England and also a bunch of people who couldn't give a crap and were there for the other football and the beer.  We're looking for a place that will show the Super Bowl, despite the fact that the game will start close to midnight here!  It'll be a good time and hopefully we'll see a win for the green and gold!

So don't take this post as "I hate Leeds."  I still love it here.  It's gorgeous and exciting and challenging and now that classes have started everything is settling in place.  It's just also occasionally mildly frustrating.  :)


Love, me.

3 comments:

  1. They don't wear jeans!!! They don't wear T shirts??? What do they shoot out of T shirt cannons at football games? What happened to the "good old days" when everyone wanted to emulate Americans (or at least that's what we liked to think)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally enjoying your blog. Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent information to know. Thanks for taking the time to share. Enjoy your uniqueness as much as possible. Fern.

    ReplyDelete